For many of us, this winter has been one of the most unpredictable yet. With record breaking cold and snow, cars that won’t start, and snow days for the kids, it’s safe to say that most of us are so ready for Spring. We’ve been battling the winter blues: unhappiness mixed with sleepiness and an unhealthy abundance of leftover Valentine’s Day candy. The good news is that there’s a lot that you can do to beat the winter blues – just take a few tips from the group at JETPUBS.
1. Get Some Sun. Thankfully we have lots of windows in our offices, but that still doesn’t quite do the trick. Many of us have started simply taking an afternoon walk around the building to get some sun. If the temps are just a bit too cold for you, consider replacing some of the lights in your office with “full spectrum” bulbs that mimic natural light.
2. Embrace Seasonal Exercise. Take time to enjoy the snow! One of our team members has taken up snow-shoeing during her lunch hour and cross-country skiing on the weekends. Another person took a romantic stroll with her husband after one of the first snowfalls. Looking at the season in a positive light will help boost your spirits.
3. Give Yourself Permission to Go to Bed Earlier. Aim for 7-8 hours of shut eye each night and attempt to keep your sleep time and wake-up time consistent. Normalizing these patterns will give you more energy and help your body to better adjust with the slowly increasing daylight hours.
4. Eat a Healthy Diet. Keeping a healthy mix of protein, fruits, veggies, and complex carbs can help to keep your energy levels up. In an effort to keep hydration levels up in the office as well, JETPUBS hosted a 7-day water challenge that encouraged everyone here to drink 64 oz. of water a day.
5. Break out of a Rut. Since you’re most likely already stuck indoors, consider tackling a home project during the winter months that you may not usually have time for. Another fun idea, if it’s in your budget, is to take a short trip somewhere during the winter months. One of our team members chose to save her honeymoon to Florida for the winter months as a chance to take a short break from the cold.
Though these tips will help beat the winter blues, we’re still crossing our fingers that Spring magically arrives in the next week! We’re filling our offices with fresh flowers and sunny attitudes to welcome the new season with open arms.
-Lauren Olson, JETPUBS Inc.